Loddon School is recruiting for a School Nurse (Learning Disability/Paediatric equivalent to NHS Band 6) to work full-time in Sherfield-on-Loddon near Basingstoke. Loddon School is both a school and a registered children’s home for 30 children who have the most severe and complex learning difficulties and autism. Many children also have associated conditions such as epilepsy, self-injurious behaviour, aggression, and restrictive behaviours. The school is registered for pupils from the ages of 8-19. The children live at the school 52 weeks a year.
You will manage the Health Team (currently 2 x part time staff) on a day-to-day basis and collectively you will be responsible for the provision of all health care needs of the children. You will be required to liaise with other health professionals, along with multidisciplinary team members within the organisation.
- Managing the Healthcare Team
- Supervising visits with health professionals and assisting our children to hospital appointments and surgeries in the community
- Observing, assessing, and monitoring the children’s health, development, and emotional wellbeing, initiating action when necessary
- Contacting parents concerning the health needs of their children
- Supporting the Health Team with staff training in the dispensing of medication, epilepsy, and associated risk assessments
- Offering advice and treatment for minor injuries.
- Ordering medication from the GP and validating through internal systems once collected from the pharmacy
- Contributing to staff training and monitoring and supporting the training needs of the team alongside your own CPD
- Contributing to children’s reviews with a health report and attending reviews as required
The successful candidate must be qualified to RN Level 1 with an active registration and be able to demonstrate evidence of post registration continuing professional development. You will role model excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to children, young adults, parents, and colleagues. You must be highly motivated, enthusiastic, experienced, and flexible as well as able to engage, motivate and develop a team of health care professionals.
You will be employed to work at the school full time primarily Monday – Friday. This is not a traditional school nurse role in the sense that we will expect a level of flex in your weekly hours to accommodate the needs of the role and hospital appointments. Therefore, although standard hours are 08.30 am – 4.30 pm you may start earlier/later. On occasions, you may be asked to attend school at the weekend, but this will not be onerous. The salary banding for this position is £31,915 -£38,731 according to experience and relevant qualifications.
As well as a salary equivalent to NHS banding, we offer extensive opportunities for training and professional development, a generous pension as well as 35 days annual leave. We are focused on wellbeing and employee support and work as a holistic team to support our children.
If you would like to apply for the role, please call Charlotte Walton on 01256 884639 to talk about the role in more detail and request an Application Form. You are also welcome to attend school for a visit.
Loddon Foundation Ltd is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service checks along with other relevant employment checks.